Answers to these questions should generally be a couple of paragraphs
long (150-200 words).
If a question doesn't seem to you like it belongs on this list, send me an explanation and I will consider dropping it.
1. What did Muzafer Sherif demonstrate in his "autokinetic effect" studies? How did this research influence the field of group dynamics?
2. Using the Big Five as a framework, discuss the relationship between personality traits and the need or desire to be in groups.
3. Describe the basic idea behind sociometer theory, and then discuss two studies that confirm this theory.
4. Discuss the six functions that groups serve for people and give examples of specific groups that might serve each function.
5. Distinguish between collective self-esteem (CSE) and personal self-esteem. Discuss the findings of De Cremer et al (1999) on the effects of high CSE and compare their findings to those reported by Crocker and her colleagues.
6. Discuss the findings of Sato & Cameron (1999) on cultural differences in self-construal (Japan vs. Canada) and compare their findings to those of Hofstede (1980). Provide at least two explanations for why Sato & Cameron's findings might be misleading.
7. What did Newcomb do at the University of Michigan, and what were the two main findings from his study (i.e., the two main attraction principles he supported)?
8. Why do people desire to be in groups, according to Freud? Compare this explanation to the one provided by Baumeister and Leary.
9. Describe the participant observation method, and explain the Festinger, Riecken & Schachter (1956) study as an example of this method. How does this method differ from the other research approaches?
10. What defines a group? Discuss the basic elements of groups according to Forsyth's definition, and use examples to illustrate them.
11. Discuss the causes and consequences of cohesiveness.
12. Describe the IPA and SYMLOG approaches to studying groups. Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of these two approaches.
13. Why do roles emerge in most groups? Use the Andes survivor group to illustrate your discussion.
14. What are the effects attributed to social rejection?
15. Discuss the recent findings on the influence of social support.
16. Why does hazing occur? What is the cognitive dissonance explanation of why initiations might build commitment?
17. Discuss the conclusions from Mullen and Copper's (1994) meta-analysis.